This twist on the ordinary waffle is perfect for your next family brunch! Flavoured with vanilla bean and the tang of buttermilk, these waffles are sure to impress.
Vanilla Bean and Buttermilk Waffles
- 1 Waffle Maker
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 vanilla bean split and scraped, or 1Tbsp vanilla paste
- 1 3/4 cup cultured lowfat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Maple syrup for serving
For the Batter:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and the scrapings of one large vanilla bean, mixing by hand until the seeds are well dispersed.1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, 1/4 cup icing sugar, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 vanilla bean
- Add buttermilk, melted butter, egg whites, and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth.1 3/4 cup cultured lowfat buttermilk, 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, 2 large egg whites, 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Waffles:
- Set waffle iron to medium and preheat until the indicator is ready.
- For an 8-inch square machine, scrape in roughly half the batter. For a 7-inch Belgian machine, scrape in about one-third.
- Close lid and cook until waffle is golden brown but still steaming, 4 1/2 to 6 minutes depending on the depth and heat of your machine.
- Serve immediately, with copious amounts of maple syrup, and griddle remaining batter as before.
Aust & Hachmann Natural Bourbon Vanilla Beans – $12.99
Escuminac Maple Syrup 500ml – $22.99