Amarena is a famous cherry preserve from Bologna, Italy. It is a variety of wild cherries with a flavour that’s sweet and bitter with herbaceous notes. Use them in Black Forest Cakes and Manhattan cocktails, spooned over almond cakes, in puddings such as panna cotta, on crepes, and as a beautiful ice cream topper.
Amarena Cherries Anise Glazed Ham
- 1 cup Amarena Cherries stems removed
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 cup Water or Broth
- 12-18 pound Fully-cooked Boneless Ham or Bone-In Ham
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Score the surface of the ham in a diamond pattern. Place the ham in a large roasting pan, cover in foil and bake for 1 hour, depending of the package directions.
- In a saucepan on medium heat, combine broth, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, star anise, and amarena cherries. Cook until reduced or until desired thickness, about 15-20 minutes.
- After 1 hour of baking time, brush the glaze on the ham in 20 minutes intervals. Put the ham back in the oven, uncovered. Glaze the ham 2 or 3 times.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving. Enjoy!